Wednesday, December 16, 2015

Life Skills- Swimming

December 16, 2015
8:02 PM

What made you enroll the kids in swimming lessons?


It wasn't my idea.  That came from the magical brain of my mother, the ever-resourceful and skillful one.  Steph and I were still down in Texas packing and the moms had taken the kids back to Maryland.  Well, it was the middle of the summer, and the boy needed something to get involved in. So, my mother calls me up and asks if she could enroll him in swimming lessons.  I didn't really give it much thought, because I was so focused on everything else (my surgery and the news that I was expecting), but I told her yes.  Turns out, it was one of the best decisions.  

I'm not that great of a swimmer.  I remember taking lessons when I was little.  I guess at the time I didn't actually realize I was taking lessons.  I remember yapping about how one of my sisters was a cheerleader at her high school to the instructor.  I barely noticed her counting down from three, then ***SPLASH!!!*** ***GURGLE!!!*** Sheer. Panic.  The instructor pulled me back up and I was shaking from head to toe.  I was mortified!  I think I even peed a little.  Right there.  In the pool.  Shush, because you know you peed in the local pool, too, at some point.  Or maybe in your shower.  Needless to say, my grand Olympic swimming career was o-v-e-r at that point.  Thankfully, the kids don't have to worry about that.  They are naturals.

They take lessons at Kids Swim First Swim School.  We absolutely love it there!  They staff is great and professional.  They even make you feel like family there.  The teachers are very skilled and work well with all of the children.  We even get a nifty little homeschool discount!  Woohoo, discounts!  Jay has been taking lessons for almost a year and a half and has moved up several levels.  Mad started around her 3rd birthday.  They both have adapted to the water with such great ease.  It's really true what is said about how children make the best learners.  It's so important that they do learn a skill so underrated such as swimming.  You never know what type of situation you'll find yourself in.  If you do a simple Google search, you find all kinds of stories of how children accidentally drowned.  Much of the time, it's because they didn't know how to do something as simple as treading water.

According to the CDC website, children ages 1-4 have the highest drowning rates.  Men and boys drown at a rate of four to one.  Most of the people of those demographics were black.  Startling, isn't it?  If, for some reason, Jay and Mad were involved in a situation that required them to utilize those skills, I know that they'd have a fighting chance.  I recommend to all parents to start taking their children to someone's swim lessons.  It could, literally, be the difference between life and death.  If they never encounter a life or death situation, they could at least be the next Michael Phelps.  That means early retirement for you!  Yay, white picket fence and mimosas every morning!


Swimming Lesson Resources








Madison during her lessons.

*For some reason, I don't have any still shots of Jay during his lessons; only videos. And, of course, I can't embed videos! I'll fix the problem eventually. 


No comments:

Post a Comment